Technology Toolbox

Your technology Sherpa for the Microsoft platform

Jeremy Jameson - Founder and Principal

Search

Search

Last Day with Microsoft

Note
This post originally appeared on my MSDN blog:

Since I no longer work for Microsoft, I have copied it here in case that blog ever goes away.

From: Jeremy Jameson
Sent: Friday, September 02, 2011 3:01 PM
To: [snip, snip]
Subject: Last day with Microsoft

Today is my last day with Microsoft and it is with a heavy heart that I now say farewell to past and present teammates, coworkers, and managers.

The last 11 years have been an incredible chapter in my life. Together we have overcome numerous challenges, helped create amazing solutions for our customers, and enjoyed numerous "highs" in the world of technology (and, quite frankly, perservered through the occasional "low" as well).

I've learned more in the past decade of my life than perhaps any other, and I wouldn't trade my decision to join Microsoft for anything (especially considering it put me on the path to meeting my wife and eventually to our daughter). In my time here, I've worked with some of the smartest and most talented people I've ever known.

I'm not really sure what the next 11 years hold in store for me, but the mere thought that at the end of it, my daughter will be learning how to drive gives me great pause (not to mention the fact that I will then be over 50).

After today, you can reach me via {firstname}_{lastname}@hotmail.com or using my new business email (see below).

Sometimes when I rise out of bed much too early in the morning (such as today) and the world is quiet, I close my eyes and clearly see memories from years ago as if they just happened yesterday. This morning, I was remembering my second day at Microsoft when Ron Stutz told me to head over to J.D. Edwards and help a couple of other Microsoft consultants replace Site Server on their "Knowledge Garden" solution with "Tahoe". [For those too young to remember, "Tahoe" was the code name for SharePoint Portal Server 2001.]

Since I am far better with technology than I am with prose, I'll leave you with the following to express how much I appreciate our time together and sincerely hope our paths cross again...

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

I am haunted by waters.

-- Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

Jeremy Jameson
[snip, snip]

Tags

Comments

1. # RE: Last Day with Microsoft

September 2, 2011 3:06 PM
    Sid Hayutin

Best of Luck, Jeremy!!! Please stay in touch. I'm so sorry to see you go.

It's been an absolute pleasure working with you!

2. # RE: Last Day with Microsoft

September 2, 2011 3:14 PM
    Eugene Morgan

Another familiar face leaves. I stand in a room now that is filled with new faces and so few that I recognize. The room will now have one less smile I will know. You smile and enthusiasm will now become part of a host of good memories of friends and co works who have moved on.

As I read about your daughter I smiled as I thought about my own kids who grew into their own lives. I remember with a smile when I stood on the front porch and watched each drive away knowing they were no longer children. And I also recall the great joy as my grandchildren started to arrive and now I see them as I saw their parents -- first birthday, first day of school, first this and first that. I see the kind of fathers and mother my children have become and I'm left with great joy. You have all that still to look forward to.

Go well.

3. # RE: Last Day with Microsoft

September 2, 2011 3:21 PM
    Kevin Kraus

Good luck Jeremy!

It was a pleasure working with you and I know your business will thrive based on the passion you have always displayed at Microsoft.

I hope we keep in touch.

4. # RE: Last Day with Microsoft

September 2, 2011 3:24 PM
    Mark Wagner

Sorry to see you go, Jeremy, but I am always happy to see people chase their dreams. I wish you the best and expect you will achieve no less than what you seek.

If I can ever help send any business your way, I will certainly do so.

5. # RE: Last Day with Microsoft

September 2, 2011 3:43 PM
    Scott Short

Good luck with your own gig ... I really hope it works out for you!!

6. # RE: Last Day with Microsoft

September 2, 2011 3:45 PM
    Abrar Chisti

Good luck Jeremy!. While we interacted briefly over the years (Janus in Denver is one example), nevertheless, it was good knowing you. I wish you well in your future endeavors.

7. # RE: Last Day with Microsoft

September 2, 2011 4:09 PM
    Scott Davis

You've been an inspiration to work with since I joined Microsoft almost 7 years ago now. I admire your passion for Entrepreneurship and for taking this big step.

You will do great! If there is anything I can assist you with (introductions, etc), please let me know.

Carry on, best of luck, do keep in touch!

8. # RE: Last Day with Microsoft

September 2, 2011 4:21 PM
    Steve Walker

Of course it's always sad to see such Rock Stars leave... But best of luck in your new endeavors. Enjoyed working (er.. slaving) with you on KPMG ;-)

9. # RE: Last Day with Microsoft

September 2, 2011 4:35 PM
    Rita Zhang

Hi Jeremy,

I'm sad to see you leave MCS. But I'm very happy for your new endeavor. It was great working with you on my first project at MCS. Hope we will stay in touch. I will continue to follow you via your blog. :) keep on coding!

Take care!

10. # RE: Last Day with Microsoft

September 2, 2011 4:48 PM
    Courtenay Yates

...very sorry to see you go...let's make sure to keep in contact and don't hesitate to use me as a reference if you ever need to.

11. # RE: Last Day with Microsoft

September 2, 2011 5:10 PM
    Suman Chakrabarti

Congratulations on the next chapter of your life. May it be prosperous.

Optional, but recommended (especially if you have a Gravatar). Note that your email address will not appear with your comment.
If URL is specified, it will be included as a link with your name.

To prevent spam from being submitted, please select the following fruit: Cherries

Strawberry