The original URL for this blog post was:
Since I no longer work for Microsoft, I have copied it here in case that blog ever goes away.
For a little over a month, Windows Update was failing on one of the servers in the “Jameson Datacenter” (a.k.a. my home lab). Specifically, KB 970892 simply would not install on JUBILEE – my Systems Center Operations Manager (SCOM) 2007 VM, that I use to monitor a number of physical and virtual machines.
Here’s the first event I found regarding this error:
Date: 10/27/2009 3:03:49 AM
Event ID: 10005
Task Category: None
Product: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services (64-bit) – Error 29528. The setup has encountered an unexpected error while Setting reporting service and share point exclusion path. The error is: Fatal error during installation.
This was quickly followed by another error in the event log:
Date: 10/27/2009 3:04:55 AM
Event ID: 1023
Task Category: None
Product: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services (64-bit) - Update ‘GDR 4053 for SQL Server Reporting Services 2005 (64-bit) ENU (KB970892)’ could not be installed. Error code 1603. Additional information is available in the log file C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\RS9_Hotfix_KB970892_sqlrun_rs.msp.log.
Shortly thereafter, I started seeing the following error once every minute:
Source: Report Server (MSSQLSERVER)
Date: 10/27/2009 3:06:52 AM
Event ID: 107
Task Category: Management
Report Server (MSSQLSERVER) cannot connect to the report server database.
Since I have Windows Update configured to automatically download and install updates every morning, the patch attempted to install each day – but failed each and every time.
I have to admit that I’ve spent a fair amount of time troubleshooting this error over the past month, but since it wasn’t a blocking issue – just a particularly irritating annoyance – I kept putting it off. [Honestly, I rarely look at the SCOM reports and instead rely mostly on email notifications and the Operations Manager Console.]
Fortunately, I finally managed to determine the root cause tonight and resolve the issue.
After downloading and installing the standalone patch installation, I discovered the following in the installation log:
MSI (s) (F0:54) [21:09:49:565]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSIAC31.tmp, Entrypoint: Do_RSSetSharePointExclusionPath <Func Name='LaunchFunction'> Function=Do_RSSetSharePointExclusionPath <Func Name='GetCAContext'> <EndFunc Name='GetCAContext' Return='T' GetLastError='203'> Doing Action: Do_RSSetSharePointExclusionPath PerfTime Start: Do_RSSetSharePointExclusionPath : Mon Dec 07 21:09:49 2009 <Func Name='Do_RSSetSharePointExclusionPath'> The application pool /s already exists. Error Code: 0x80077374 (29556) Windows Error Text: Source File Name: sqlca\sqliisca.cpp Compiler Timestamp: Mon Nov 17 17:05:40 2008 Function Name: Do_RSSetSharePointExclusionPath Source Line Number: 914
As noted in KB 917826, there appears to be a known issue when Reporting Services is configured to run using a domain account. For JUBILEE, the ReportServer application pool was configured to run as TECHTOOLBOX\svc-mom-das (the SCOM data access service account). After changing the app pool to run as NetworkService instead, I ran the standalone install of KB 970892 and it completed successfully.
I then changed the app pool identity back to TECHTOOLBOX\svc-mom-das (since that appears to be how SCOM 2007 wants it configured) and verified that a couple of reports run successfully. Woohoo!
I’m crossing my fingers that tomorrow morning, Windows Update detects that KB 970892 is installed and no errors occur.