In addition to the trivial bug fix that I mentioned in last night's post, I have merged a number of other changes into my Subtext fork on GitHub.
January 2012 Blog Posts
Follow along as I share my struggles using GitHub and the Git version control system.
My first bug fix for Subtext now available on GitHub (a.k.a. Building TechnologyToolbox.com, part 18)
I finally got around to investigating all the hubbub with GitHub. I even submitted my first "official" bug fix for the Subtext blog engine. I'm sure it will get easier, but this experience was valuable for me, if for no other reason than making me appreciate how much I love Team Foundation Server.
Shared files and assemblies in ASP.NET applications (a.k.a. Building TechnologyToolbox.com, part 17)
This post describes a couple of scenarios where you might need to share files and assemblies within an ASP.NET website, as well as some tricks for making this completely painless (from a development and deployment perspective).
Custom CAPTCHA control for ASP.NET application and Subtext blog (a.k.a. Building TechnologyToolbox.com, part 16)
In this post, I provide a detailed walkthrough of the custom CAPTCHA control used on the Technology Toolbox website (including some subtle issues discovered when using this control on Subtext blog pages).
Errors running the Subtext blog engine -- and what I did about them (a.k.a. Building TechnologyToolbox.com, part 15)
I've been running my new blog on Subtext for almost 4 months and encountered some issues with Subtext that required a few tweaks here and there. In this post, I describe the errors I've seen and my recommendations for addressing them.
Best practices for error handling in ASP.NET Web applications (a.k.a. Building TechnologyToolbox.com, part 14)
So, you've created a custom error page, enabled the <customErrors> element in the Web.config file, and considered it done -- but are you sure that all the bases are covered?
Serving minified jQuery/CSS in PROD and uncompressed versions in DEV (a.k.a. Building TechnologyToolbox.com, part 13)
Using jQuery to create an expandable archive list for blog posts (a.k.a. Building TechnologyToolbox.com, part 12)
In my previous post, I briefly mentioned how I use a CSS sprite and jQuery to render the expandable list under the "Archives" section on the various blog pages of the Technology Toolbox site. This post details the implementation of that feature.
Using CSS sprites to improve site performance and user experience (a.k.a. Building TechnologyToolbox.com, part 11)
In my previous post, I briefly mentioned how the "Most Popular Posts" section on the Technology Toolbox home page uses a CSS sprite to render the arrow image next to each list item. In this post, I explain more about how CSS sprites are used on the site, why they are valuable, and some caveats when using them.