Technology Toolbox

Your technology Sherpa for the Microsoft platform

Jeremy Jameson - Founder and Principal

Search

Search

"Error Creating Control" when using Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer 2007

Note
This post originally appeared on my MSDN blog:

Since I no longer work for Microsoft, I have copied it here in case that blog ever goes away.

If, like me, you happen to encounter the following user experience when attempting to edit a master page...

SharePoint Designer - "Error Creating Control"
Figure 1: SharePoint Designer - "Error Creating Control"

...then follow these steps to resolve the issue:

1. Start Control Panel and then open Administrative Tools.
  2. In Windows Vista, right-click Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Configuration and click Run as administrator. If you are not using Windows Vista, then right-click and select Run as... and specify an account that is a member of the local Administrators group (because you don't normally login with an administrative account, right?). Enter the appropriate credentials to start the configuration console.
  3. In the .NET Framework 2.0 Configuration console, in the tree on the left, expand My Computer, and click Runtime Security Policy.
  4. In the Code Access Security Policy window on the right, in the Tasks section, click Adjust Zone Security.
  5. In the Security Adjustment Wizard, ensure Make changes to this computer is selected and then click Next.
  6. Select Local Intranet, in the Choose the level of trust for assemblies from this zone section, click and drag the slider to Full Trust, and then click Next.
  7. Confirm the setting in the Summary of changes and then click Finish.

Restart SharePoint Designer and you should be "good-to-go."

Comments

1. # re: "Error Creating Control" when using Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer 2007

September 23, 2007 11:50 PM
    bboyce

When I go to my Administrative Tools I only have .NET Framework 1.1 configuration. I tried making the changes you suggested with the .NET Framework 1.1 configuration tool and giving the local intranet full trust unfortunately it didn't resolve the problem. Do you have any other suggestions?

2. # re: "Error Creating Control" when using Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer 2007

April 6, 2008 8:22 PM
    mbro

I have exactly the same. If anyone knows the answer I'd be most grateful!

3. # re: "Error Creating Control" when using Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer 2007

May 6, 2008 5:22 PM
    CK82

you have to install the SDK for .NET Framework 2.0 after that the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Configuration is available

4. # re: "Error Creating Control" when using Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer 2007

June 12, 2008 2:15 AM
    just2mutch

Jeremy,

This post saved me a ton of time, thanks for publishing this information!

Daniel Mutch

5. # re: "Error Creating Control" when using Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer 2007

July 23, 2008 10:24 PM
    nlcabrera

Jeremy,

I recently tried this (your instructions PLUS installing the .Net 2.0 SDK) and it worked like a champ! Thank very much.

- Nes

6. # re: "Error Creating Control" when using Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer 2007

February 1, 2010 6:27 PM
    Yaseen

Its not working for me. Guyz help me out

7. # re: "Error Creating Control" when using Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer 2007

August 5, 2010 12:08 PM
    Petya

I have installed the SDK for .NET Framework 2.0 and it works.

Cool

Thanks

8. # re: "Error Creating Control" when using Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer 2007

September 29, 2010 10:14 PM
    Dan

How can i make this work in windows7 64bit Ultimate?

9. # re: "Error Creating Control" when using Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer 2007

March 4, 2011 12:53 AM
    Thanks!

I downloaded .NET Framework SDK v2.0 first, then followed the steps you describe for Vista, but I'm in Windows 7, and it fixed the problem.

10. # " + title + "

March 22, 2007 2:41 AM
    www.virtual-generations.com

Optional, but recommended (especially if you have a Gravatar). Note that your email address will not appear with your comment.
If URL is specified, it will be included as a link with your name.

To prevent spam from being submitted, please select the following fruit: Cherries

Pear