Technology Toolbox

Your technology Sherpa for the Microsoft platform

Jeremy Jameson - Founder and Principal

Search

Search

My first bug fix for Subtext now available on GitHub (a.k.a. Building TechnologyToolbox.com, part 18)

In one of last week's posts, I detailed a number of errors that I have encountered since switching my blog over to Subtext when I left Microsoft almost 4 months ago. In that post, I also described a few of the bug fixes that I made in the Subtext code in order to mitigate some errors.

Before any of those changes, however, I made a very simple change to Subtext 2.5 in order to work out the processes for debugging and subsequent build/deployment. [Since the Technology Toolbox site is built using a Visual Studio 2010 solution and the Subtext 2.5 solution is built using a Visual Studio 2008 solution, this isn't quite as straightforward as you might think. It certainly isn't rocket science, but it's not quite as easy as pressing F5 either.]

That very first change I made to Subtext is actually for a legitimate bug (in other words, not an enhancement), but one that has probably gone undiscovered by most Subtext users and developers thus far. I didn't decide to fix the issue due to the "severity" of the bug, but rather based on the fact that the code change was about the simplest I can imagine.

If you look at the HTML for a Subtext blog page, you'll discover it specifies a DOCTYPE of XHTML 1.0 Transitional but actually contains invalid XHTML:

<link id="opensearch" rel="search" type="..." href="..." Title="..." />	

See the problem? The Title attribute should be title.

I discovered this after copying the HTML for one of my Subtext-generated blog pages into Expression Web.

Like I said before...certainly not a very important bug, but still something I thought I should fix. As my nephew, Kyle, likes to say, "That's just how I roll."

So I fixed this bug in my own private build of Subtext way back in September, but that obviously doesn't help others who are using the Subtext blog engine. Thanks to a recent post by Scott Hanselman, I decided to "bite the bullet" and share my changes via GitHub.

Okay, truth be told, I've been meaning to check out the Git version control system for quite a while now, but I kept putting it off since there are seemingly infinite things to learn about in the world of software development and a rather small number of free hours in the day. Don't get me wrong, I love Team Foundation Server and I'm definitely not looking to become a Git expert. However, I do like to at least be aware of various alternatives.

Consequently, last Friday I created an account on GitHub and then started going through some tutorials. It took a while to get setup -- partially because I somehow lost my original SSH key (I believe due to the fact that I use a roaming profile) -- but I eventually got to the point where I could checkout a file from GitHub, make a change, and subsequently check it back in. [Yeah, I know, I know...Git uses different terminology, but I'm a TFS guy -- what do you expect?]

Anyway, if you are interested in seeing my change, take a look at my Subtext fork on GitHub. [Crap...I just noticed that my commit from earlier today displays "unknown" even though I know that I set my user name and email address during the GitHub setup process. It looks like these got lost from my profile along with the SSH key. What a pain in the arse.]

I've also created a "pull request" for Phil to merge my fix into the "main" Subtext branch -- er, I mean his original repository for Subtext. [Again with the TFS terminology, I know.]

I'll work on applying the rest of my Subtext changes to my Subtext fork on GitHub in the near future.

Tags

Comments

No comments posted yet.

Add Comment

Optional, but recommended (especially if you have a Gravatar). Note that your email address will not appear with your comment.
If URL is specified, it will be included as a link with your name.

To prevent spam from being submitted, please select the following fruit: Apple

Apple
Grapes
Cherries
Pear
Strawberry
Watermelon
 
Please add 3 and 7 and type the answer here: